Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Welcome March

I love when March rolls in. It holds the promise of Spring coming, is my birthday month, and for me feels like it's time to get a fresh start on things. I know that may seem odd since a lot of people look at fresh starts happening in January with the New Year, but I just can't do it then. Must be Winter, LOL!

One of the things I am really focusing on in my crafty adventures for a fresh start is Mixed Media. I so loved art classes when I was younger and really got into it in high school thanks to a tremendously great art teacher. I participated in shows, learned about all sorts of mediums, and really found my artistic self. When I became college bound all that seemed to be put on the back burner. I have really been enjoying discovering this side of myself again lately and will look forward to sharing more and more projects with a mixed media spin on them with you all.

One way I plan on doing this consistently is by using Lucy's card sketches from My Sketch World to create ATCs for my DT assignments. I love using Lucy's sketches to begin and they translate really well into ATCs.

Here is the 1st one I made:

Butterflies Are....



I used Sassfras Lass papers and some cut portions of a Hambly transparency for the base. Then I added some glass bead gel I colored with paint to the edges. The butterflies were dipped in UTEE and then I added a glass bead to the larger one. The bottle cap is from Maya Road and filled with some more Sass papers along with a Maya Road chipboard word. The edges of the bottle cap and the writing were done with a paint marker. I must say they are like my new fav go to!

Here is the sketch I used to create it from:



There is a fabulous new 2 pager sketch up for March at MSW so be sure to check that out along with all the DT creations. Lucy has created a special gallery for ATCs now so if you happen to feel the urge to try something new, or to share ATCs you've already done, we'd love to see what you've created!



1 comment:

  1. hi Scarlett! Lovin' your ATC - thanks for the details - I didn't realize you used "glass bead gel". That's a product I have not heard of until now. :) I hope to join you in making an occasional ATC. I think they are fun & hip tiny pieces of art in which we can express ourselves. This one of yours is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!